How it works:
- Version 1: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
- Version 2: bird poo scam.
Places to beware:
- Ayutthaya: Ayutthaya Ruins, Wat Phra Sri Sanphet, Vihara Phra Mongkhon Bophit
- Bangkok: Pratunam Market, Chinatown, bus stops in front of Siriraj Hospital, Chatuchak Market, Sampeng market, crowded SkyTrain/station, Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Traimit, Wat Phra Kaew, Wat Arun, Patpong Night Market, Khao San Road, Sukhumvit, Siam Paragon, Platinum Mall, MBK Centre, Asiatique
- Chiang Mai: Wat Chedi Luang, Tha Phae Gate, Night Bazaar, Wua Lai Road
- Chiang Rai: Night Bazaar
- Ko Samui: Chaweng Beach, Fisherman’s Village
- Pattaya: Pattaya Beach, Beach Road, baht bus, Walking Street Pattaya, Big Buddha
- Phuket: Patong beach, Bangla Road, Naka Market, Wat Chalong Fair, Naka Market, Bangla Boxing Stadium
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft - check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.