How it works:
- Version 1 (batik shop):
- Step 1: a stranger offers to bring you to the best batik shops. He brings you past several stalls, points out different grades of batik and explains why they are not worth it.
- Step 2: he brings you out of the market and into a dark alleyway where his friend has a shop selling batik and supposedly receives money from the government to teach batik!
- Step 3: here you are shown the wax and dye to create batik. Tea is also served.
- Step 4: at this point, most will feel bad for not buying. However, if you buy, you would most likely be getting a screen printed fake on a worthless piece of cloth.
- Version 2 (others):
- Besides batik shops, it can be an art school or art gallery as well.
Places to beware:
- Yogyakarta: Malioboro Road
What to do:
- Decline such invitations.
- If caught, do not feel pressured to buy.