How it works:
- Violent crime:
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 6.7 (2012) vs global average: 7.9 (2012), Africa average: 7.4 (2012).
- Landmines around Mozambique border and Lupane District in Matabeleland North Province.
- Criminal groups around Mozambique border.
- No recent history, but should not be taken for granted.
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations (September 2018) as government clamps down on unlicensed street vendors in the Harare central business district.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Hotspots to be careful at:
- Cities: Harare, Bulawayo
- Tourist areas: Victoria Falls, Honde Valley waterfalls (e.g. Mterazi Falls and Pungwe Falls), safari camps in Hwange and Mana Pools national parks