How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 28.2 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #19 highest globally (very unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Not obeying traffic laws
- Recklessly driven public transportation (e.g. kombis, long distance buses)
- Pedestrians like to walk on the roads, and there are animals as well
- Numerous and deep potholes
- Major roads are in fair condition but lack safety features (e.g. lanes, shoulders, breakdown lanes, lighting, reflectors)
- Motorbike and bicycles without light
- Poorly maintained and lack of road signs and traffic lights
- Other transport:
- Minibuses (Kombis) and inter-city buses: overcrowded, fatigued drivers, poorly maintained, not adhering to traffic rules
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- To get around, use a taxi arranged by your hotel/hostel or through apps like GTAXI.