How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 1.5 (2011) vs global average: 8.0 (2011), Asia average: 3.1 (2011).
- Unexploded mines in former battlefields of central Vietnam and along Laos border.
- See above.
- No recent history.
- Civil unrest:
- Stable. There may be small scale protests but large scale demonstrations are rare.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice