How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 24.5 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #42 highest globally (very unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Poor road conditions
- Overloaded buses and trucks that drive at high speeds
- Traffic rules ignored and not enforced
- Motorbike fatalities is one of the leading causes of death and injury for foreigners
- Flooding and landslides can cause roads to be inaccessible
- Other transport:
- Bus: system is extensive within cities but can be overcrowded and recklessly driven. Inter-city buses have a high accident rate.
- Motorcycle taxis: unsafe due to driving practices.
- Rail: safe but watch out for thefts.
- Boat: may not meet international standards; past fatal accidents.
- Taxis: watch out for fakes and scams.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Use official taxis or taxi booking apps such as Grab.
- For long distance bus trips, consider travelling via train but beware of theft.
- For coach and boat trips, only use reputable operators.