How it works:
- Major earthquakes in the region can trigger tsunamis that affect Vietnam.
- Rainy season:
- June to September in north and south Vietnam.
- October to December in central Vietnam.
- May see flooding and landslides, especially around Hanoi, along the Red River and Mekong River Delta regions.
- Typhoons may also affect central and north Vietnam.
What to do:
- Travel at the “right” time to the “right” place
- Media reports, weather forecasts
- Mekong River Commission (flood levels for Mekong River)
- National Center for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting
- Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre
- Reacting to one:
- Earthquakes: drop (to hands and knees), cover (head and neck with arms), hold on (to sturdy furniture; expect aftershocks.
- Typhoons: stay indoors away from windows, do not use electrical appliances/equipment, do not head out and touch debris (more injuries/deaths happen after than during).