How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 10.9 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #118 highest globally (relatively safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Driving at high speeds, especially on inter-city highways
- Unmarked speed bumps
- Drifting sand
- Other transport:
- Desert: travel in a properly equipped 4 x 4 vehicle
- Boats: may be overcrowded or do not comply to strict safety standards
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Use reputable transport operators for 4×4 vehicles or boats.