How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 4.3 (2012) vs global average: 7.9 (2012), Europe average: 1.7 (2012).
- See below.
- In southeastern Turkey, various terrorist groups have organized large scale attacks and kidnappings.
- Towns bordering Syria have also been hit by artillery rounds from Syria. Major cities have also seen attacks.
- A number of active terrorist groups, such as Kurdish separatists (PKK, TAK), Daesh and far left (DHKP).
- Civil unrest:
- Influx of refugees into southern Turkey. Demonstrations may occur.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest, especially during significant religious occasions (e.g. holy month of Ramadan).
Areas to avoid:
- 10 km of Turkey – Syria border
- Eastern provinces of Diyarbakir, Tunceli, Hakkari and Siirt