How it works:
- In an active earthquake zone, two major earthquakes in 2017.
- Heavy snowfall:
- December to February.
- May cause roads to be impassible.
- Forest fires:
- June to September, for heavily forested areas.
- Holidays areas near the Aegean and Mediterranean coasts, and the Gallipoli Peninsula have been affected in the past.
- Droughts and severe rainfall:
- As Turkey is located in the Mediterranean macroclimate region in the sub-tropical zone, there is great variation in rainfall levels across years.
What to do:
- Travel at the “right” time to the “right” place
- Media reports, weather forecasts
- Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- Reacting to one:
- Earthquakes: drop (to hands and knees), cover (head and neck with arms), hold on (to sturdy furniture; expect aftershocks.
- Bushfires: make yourself seen (e.g. spread out something large and bright), find shelter with little vegetation, stay low to avoid smoke.