How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 3.0 (2012)vs global average: 7.9 (2012), Africa average: 7.4 (2012).
- Mines in Chaambi Mountains area.
- See below.
- Three terrorist groups: Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS), Al-Qa’ida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), Ansar al-Sharia in Tunisia (AAS-T).
- Civil unrest:
- Protests and demonstrations can occur.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Do not travel due to terrorism and military activities:
- West: mountains such as the Chaambi Mountain National Park area
- Central: SidiBouZid, Gafsa
- Libyan border: within 40 km, e.g. governorates of Medenine and Tataouine, Ben Guerdane
- Algerian border: within 30km, Jendouba south of Ain Drahem and west of RN15, El Kef, and Kasserine
- Military zone: desert south of Remada (Mount Salloum, Mount Sammamma and Mount Mghila)
- Reconsider any travel to:
- Libyan border: within 75km, e.g. Remada, El Borma, town of Zarzis
- Algerian border: Kasserine, El Kef, Jendouba(including Chemtou), Ghardimaou
- Road: road corridor from the town of Sbeitla to SidiBouzid