How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 24.4 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #44 highest globally (very unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Traffic rules are generally ignored even with the presence of traffic police
- Vehicles can drive in the wrong direction
- Motorists drive without lights at night, making them difficult to see
- Animals on the road, particularly in rural areas
- Roads are not paved in desert areas and vehicles are subject to blowing sand
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.