How it works:
- Earthquakes: low seismic activity can occur.
- Heavy rains: December to February. Can cause flash floods or landslides, particularly in the south.
- Dust storms and sandstorms: in the Sahara.
What to do:
- Travel at the “right” time to the “right” place
- Media reports, weather forecasts
- Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- Reacting to one:
- Earthquakes: drop (to hands and knees), cover (head and neck with arms), hold on (to sturdy furniture; expect aftershocks.
- Sandstorm (on foot): wear a mask (or use shirt sleeve), cover eyes, seek shelter (building/landform/camel), high ground (if no lightning), don’t move through the storm.
- Sandstorm (in vehicle): if no visibility, pull off road, turn off headlines, brake lights and signals. Else, keep lights on, move slowly and sound horn periodically.