How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 36.2 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #2 highest globally (very unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Heavy traffic
- Speeding, reckless driving, failing to adhere to traffic rules
- For motorcyclists, not wearing helmets
- Drunk driving, especially during Western new year (January 1) and Thai new year (Songkran, mid-April)
- Impassable roads during rainy season
- Other transport:
- Overnight bus, train: there have been past accidents
- Speedboats to and from Koh Phangan: usually overloaded during Full Moon parties
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Use reputable operators for overnight buses and boats.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Global Status Report on Road Safety (2015)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice