How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 32.9 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- Global rank of #6 (very unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Poor road conditions, especially those in the national parks and after heavy rains
- Erratic driving behaviour
- Other transport:
- Daladala microbuses and bajaji (three wheeled taxis) should be avoided
- Overcrowded ferries with a lack of life vests and easy access to exits are unsafe as well
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.