How it works:
- Rainy season:
- March to June; November to December
- Many roads only drivable with four wheeled drives
- Lies on a fault line, susceptible to earthquakes and tsunamis from the Indian and Pacific Oceans
What to do:
- Travel at the “right” time to the “right” place
- Media reports, weather forecasts
- Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- Reacting to one:
- Earthquakes: drop (to hands and knees), cover (head and neck with arms), hold on (to sturdy furniture; expect aftershocks.
- Tsunamis: signs include abnormal ocean activity and load roars. Protect yourself from an earthquake first if there is one. Else, get to a high ground as far inland as possible.
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice