How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 1.1 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Europe average: 1.5 (2016).
- Violent crime towards tourists or public is rare. If any, it occurs between organized crime groups in larger cities (e.g. Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmo).
- There have been past incidents (April 2017).
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations may occur occasionally.
What to do:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night, hiking alone, and don’t look like an easy victim (e.g. looking like a tourist/flaunting valuables).
- Monitor local media in case of any terrorist threats, and avoid the danger zones and demonstrations.