How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 17.4 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #82 highest globally (relatively unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Roads within cities are fine, but are in a state of disrepair outside cities.
- Poorly maintained vehicles.
- Both drivers and pedestrians not adhering to traffic rules.
- Congested traffic with a variety of conveyances – animals, ox carts, 4 x 4 vehicles, bicycles, etc.
- Overloaded trucks, aggressive buses.
- Narrow two lane highways.
- Public transport:
- Buses: poorly maintained, overcrowded, aggressively driven, thefts are common.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- To move around, hire a driver or use a taxi (apps such as Uber, Pickme Sri lankan Taxi service).