How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 0.7 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Asia average: 2.3 (2016).
- Demilitarized zone/border with North Korea.
- no recent history, but should not be taken for granted.
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations are common but mostly peaceful.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Civil emergency:
- Civil emergency exercises are held 8 times a year on the 15th of every month except January, February, July and December.
- You can download the “Emergency Ready” app developed by the South Korean government for civil emergency advice.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice