How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 9.3 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #129 highest globally (relatively safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Speeding, running red lights, not signaling
- Aggressive bus drivers and weaving motorcyclists who sometimes drive on sidewalks.
- Other transport:
- Extensive and efficient public transport system.
- High speed rail (KTX) links Seoul and the major Southern cities (Busan, Gwangju, Mokpo).
- Ferry services are available at major coastal cities. Safety standards have been raised since the Sewol ferry disaster in 2014.
- Cab drivers are reliable speak little English.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Since 2018, you are legally required to wear a seatbelt while in a cab/express bus.