How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 25.1 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #38 highest globally (very unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Poor adherence to traffic laws
- Limited enforcement of traffic laws
- Traffic lights out of order, insufficient lighting
- Distracted driving, aggressive driving or driving under influence of alcohol
- Other transport:
- Both buses and trains report high numbers of crime
- Past accident records indicate safety concerns with trains
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Avoid public transport. Use a taxi or hired driver instead and travel by air if possible.
- Get your hotel or restaurant to arrange a taxi for you instead of taking public transport.