How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 1.5 (2015) vs global average: 7.2 (2015), Asia average: 2.6 (2015).
- Within 50 miles of border with Yemen.
- Rebel groups in Yemen continue to fire long range missiles into Saudi Arabia, targeting populated areas and civilian infrastructure in Riyadh and Jeddah.
- Most are intercepted by Saudi air defence systems.
- Civil unrest:
- Although illegal, demonstrations do occur sometimes (though primarily amongst the Shia communities in Qatif).
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Also stay alert during periods of religious significance such as during Ramadan.
- Avoid these areas:
- 10km (definitely do not) and 80km (avoid unless essential) within the borders of Yemen
- Qatif in the Eastern province and its suburbs
- Hofuf and its suburbs in the al Hasa governorate
- Saudi-Iraq borders