How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 27.4 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #23 highest globally (very unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Poor driving standards – aggressive driving, speeding
- Lax enforcement of traffic rules
- High traffic volumes
- Roads in large cities are well maintained but roads in small cities and towns are less developed and poorly lit at night
- Sandstorms can affect visibility
- Other transport:
- Inter-city bus and rail are available
- Within cities, taxis are the only practical means of transportation
What to do:
- Note that if you are involved in an accident with a local, you as a foreigner will be deemed to be at fault regardless of what happened.
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Only use licensed taxis.