How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 15.2 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #96 highest globally (relatively safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Combination of many roundabouts and construction projects
- Speeding, not adhering to traffic rules
- Poor lighting, wandering camels and roads without shoulders in rural areas
- Other transport:
- Bus: safe and well developed network
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Buses may not be readily available. If time is an issue, use licensed taxis and avoid unlicensed or sharing taxis.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Global Status Report on Road Safety (2015)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice