How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 1.0 (2014) vs global average: 7.3 (2014), Oceania average: 2.4 (2014).
- No recent history, but should not be taken for granted.
- Civil unrest:
- Any demonstrations are generally peaceful.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- More about the local terrorism threat– New Zealand Security Intelligence Service