How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate:
- 17.0 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #85 highest globally (relatively unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Roads generally in poor condition and lack safety features.
- Poorly regulated traffic, generally congested in Kathmandu Valley.
- Other drivers who are not properly trained or licensed.
- Poorly maintained vehicles.
- Overloaded public vehicles.
- Landslides can happen at Mugling-Narayanghat highway (between Kathmandu and Chitwan National Park).
- Other transport:
- Long distance buses tend to be driven recklessly.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.