How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 12.30 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- Global rank of #113 (relatively safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Use toll roads (cuota) over free roads (libre) as you may face unofficial roadblocks.
- Aggressive driving, speeding, going through red lights, lane changing without indicating.
- Poor road conditions in rural areas, potholes, dangerous curves, unmarked roads.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Global Status Report on Road Safety (2015)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice