How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 1.8 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Africa average: 13.0 (2016).
- Prostitution and drug related activities in downtown Port Louis.
- No recent history, but should not be taken for granted.
- Civil unrest:
- End of the year, there may be tensions between unlicensed street vendors and police.
- Demonstrations may occur.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night (e.g. backstreets of Port Louis) and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.