How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 12.2 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- Global rank of #114 (relatively safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Narrow and uneven roads bordered by deep ditches and without guardrails.
- Lack of street lighting, vehicles without headlines, cyclists not using lights
- Aggressive driving
- Many types of roads users ranging from pedestrians, dogs and motorycles
- Other transport:
- Options include buses which run between towns from 5am to 9pm and up to 6pm in remote areas.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- If travelling at night, book a taxi in advance.