How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 2.1 (2013) vs global average: 6.8 (2013), Asia average: 3.0 (2013).
- Eastern Sabah where the Philippines-based Abu Sayyaf Group is in the business of kidnaps for ransom.
- As above.
- Over 150 supporters of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group have been arrested since 2014 so safety should not be taken for granted.
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations may occasionally occur.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Eastern portion of Sabah (from town of Kudat to Tawau district).