How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 24.0 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #52 highest globally (relatively unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Aggressive motorcyclists who weave in and out of congested traffic
- Narrow and winding street roads
- Flooding during rainy season causing roads in low lying areas to be inaccessible
- Other transport:
- There have been a number of fatal overnight bus crashes.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Choose reputable operators for overnight buses.