How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate:
- 22.6 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #59 highest globally (relatively unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Heavy traffic congestion
- No sidewalks for pedestrians
- Side roads/roads outside capital may not be signposted
- Side roads/roads outside capital are poorly lighted leading to drivers having to use high beam throughout
- Other transport:
- Shared taxis are cheap but it is safer to reserve a taxi from one of the official companies (e.g. Alfa taxi, Allo taxi, Charlie taxi, High taxi, Lebanon taxi, Queen taxi, Trust taxi)
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.