How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 4.5 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Asia average: 2.3 (2016).
- Landmines in areas bordering Kyrgyz-Uzbek and Kyrgyz-Tajik borders.
- Batken province (Oblast).
- Southern corridors of Kyrgyzstan: drug smuggling.
- Kyrgyz-Uzbek and Kyrgyz-Tajik borders: skirmishes between border guards.
- Terrorist activity and violence armed violence reported in south and west of Osh.
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations may occur at Presidential Administration building, Parliament, Alatoo Square.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Do not/avoid travelling to:
- Kyrgyz-Tajik borders
- Ferghana Valley