How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 22.0 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #60 highest globally (relatively unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Roads in poor conditions – potholes, uncovered manholes, poor lighting, road works not signposted.
- Both drivers and pedestrians not adhering to traffic rules.
- Mountainous roads are narrow and do not have guardrails and barriers.
- Congested traffic on road between Bishkek and Almaty which also involves a dangerous mountain pass.
- Other transport:
- Buses are crowded, unreliable, poorly maintained and notorious for pickpockets.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Using a taxi (call instead of hailing one off the streets) or a private driver is recommended.