How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 29.1 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #16 highest globally (very unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Minor roads are poorly maintained, unpaved, bumpy and riddled with potholes
- Poorly maintained vehicles
- Unpredictable driving habits
- Heavy traffic jams
- Reckless driving by matatus (public buses) and bodasbodas (motorcycle taxis)
- Poor maintained trains and tracks during wet seasons
- Other transport:
- Matatus, boda-bodas, Likoni Ferry: generally unsafe due to reckless driving, poor maintenance, overcrowding and high rates of crime.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- To move around, use reliable taxi companies or the Madaraka Express Railway line (between Nairobi to Mombasa).