How it works:
- Droughts: affect the eastern, north eastern, coast area and parts of Rift Valley
- Rainy season: April to June, October to November, potential flooding and mudslides
- Earthquakes: lies on a fault line so tremors may occur
- Volcanoes: Mt Elgon area
What to do:
- Travel at the “right” time to the “right” place.
- Media reports, weather forecasts
- Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- Reacting to one:
- Earthquakes: drop (to hands and knees), cover (head and neck with arms), hold on (to sturdy furniture; expect aftershocks.
- Volcanic eruption: avoid areas downwind and river valleys downstream of the volcano, do not drive in heavy ash fall, seek shelter (if no need to evacuate) or high ground if no shelter (crouch down away from volcano, cover head with arms).