How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 4.8 (2015) vs global average: 7.2 (2015), Asia average: 2.6 (2015).
- There have been attacks on foreigners at night outside bars, nightclubs and recreational establishments in Nur-Sultan, Almaty and the expat communities in Atyrau and Aktau.
- There have been past attacks (2 domestic attacks in 2016).
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations can occur from time to time.
What to do:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night, hiking alone, and don’t look like an easy victim (e.g. looking like a tourist/flaunting valuables).
- Monitor local media in case of any terrorist threats, and avoid the danger zones and demonstrations.