How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate:
- 24.2 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #48 highest globally (relatively unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Poorly maintained roads which lack signage, have poor lighting and deep potholes.
- Aggressive driving and drunk driving; pedestrians crossing the road unexpectedly.
- The mountainous road between Almaty and Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan can be dangerous to drive at night and in poor weather.
- Public transport:
- Buses are poorly maintained and usually crowded.
- Unlicensed taxis can put you at risk of robbery.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.