How it works:
- Earthquakes: Kazakhstan lies in an active seismic zone but the last large earthquake was in 1927. However, watch out for avalanches and landslides in mountainous areas in spring.
- Severe weather: temperatures can drop to as low as between -30°C -50°C in winter.
What to do:
- Travel at the “right” time to the “right” place
- Media reports, weather forecasts
- Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- Reacting to one:
- Earthquakes: drop (to hands and knees), cover (head and neck with arms), hold on (to sturdy furniture); expect aftershocks