How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate:
- 26.3 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #31 highest globally (very unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Aggressive driving, not signaling
- Insufficient lighting at night and cars not using lights, particularly in rural areas
- Roaming animals on the roads
- Heavy snowfall and rain can make mountain roads inaccessible
- Heavy traffic especially during Ramadan and Eid
- Other transport:
- Public transport is generally over-crowded, even more so during major holidays.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.