How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 0.3 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Asia average: 2.3 (2016).
- Exclusion zones around the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant due to unhealthy radiation levels.
- Roppongi, Kabuki-cho, and other entertainment and nightlife districts: scenes of violence between criminal syndicates.
- No recent history, but should not be taken for granted.
- Civil unrest:
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Be careful at:
- Not exactly a hotspot, but Airin/Kamagasaki is Japan’s largest slum so you might want to be careful around there.
- Do not/avoid travelling to the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant.