How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 4.7 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #164 highest globally (very safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Not knowing Japanese may hinder understanding of road signs
- Congested city traffic
- Narrow roads, no legal roadside parking though many are illegally parked curbside and blocks traffic partially
- Other transport:
- Subway, trains and bus networks are well developed, safe and convenient
- Taxis are safe and reliable
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.