How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 0.7 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Europe average: 1.5 (2016).
- Migrant camps potentially (e.g. Cara di Mineo in Sicily).
- Southeast – Sicily, Calabria, Campania Apulia – sees higher levels of violent crime due to the drug trade and gang feuds.
- Risk of attacks.
- Civil unrest:
- Politically motivated violence by extreme left-wing and secessionist groups against official Italian targets.
- Transport strikes can be common.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.