How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 6.1 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- Global rank of #153 (very safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Narrow and winding roads, both in cities and in mountainous areas
- Aggressive driving, speeding, not adhering to traffic rules
- Unclear or missing signage, traffic lights, road markings
- Weather conditions can make roads impassable
- Potential for fog to reduce visibility in the north during winter
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.