How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 1.4 (2015) vs global average: 7.2 (2015), Asia average: 2.6 (2015).
- Parts of East Jerusalem (clashes between Palestinians and Israeli authorities).
- West Bank (clashes between security forces, Palestinians and Israeli authorities).
- Gaza strip (although there is a ceasefire with Hamas, violent demonstrations and shootings still occur).
- Border with Syria (militant activity close to Israeli barrier in Golan Heights)
- Border with Egypt (highway 10 and 12)
- Threat exists due to with retaliation from Gaza rocket attacks into Israel and Israeli airstrikes on Gaza.
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations in East Jerusalem and parts of Old City are frequent, especially after Friday prayers.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Avoid these areas: