How it works:
- Earthquakes: in an active seismic zone.
- Flash floods: April to September, mainly affects Judean Hills and Negev desert.
- Sand storm: July to August.
What to do:
- Travel at the “right” time to the “right” place
- Media reports, weather forecasts
- Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- Reacting to one:
- Earthquakes: drop (to hands and knees), cover (head and neck with arms), hold on (to sturdy furniture); expect aftershocks.
- Sand/dust storm (on foot): wear a mask (or use shirt sleeve), cover eyes, seek shelter (building/landform/camel), high ground (if no lightning), don’t move through the storm.
- Sand/dust storm (in vehicle): if no visibility, pull off road, turn headlines, brake lights and turn signals off. If can’t pull off, keep lights on, move slowly and sound horn periodically.