How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 15.3 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #94 highest globally (relatively safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- No or little adherence to traffic rules
- Aggressive and unpredictable driving behavior
- Many parties on the road – motor vehicles, pedicabs, pushcarts
- Extreme congestion especially during peak hours (Jakarta’s traffic is one of the worst globally)
- Overloaded buses and trucks travelling at high speeds
- Poorly maintained and unlit rural roads
- Other transport:
- Bus and ferry accidents are common
- Poor maintenance, overcrowded and lacking in safety equipment
- Limited rescue capacity
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- To move around, get a private driver or use a cab (call for an official one or use booking apps like Go-Jek/Grab).