How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate:
- 5.2 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #159 highest globally (very safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Narrow and winding mountainous roads
- Note that many cars insured in the south are not insured for use in the North. If you do not have the correct insurance coverage, you will not be allowed through. Insurance for the north can be bought at some checkpoints.
- Note also that both sides have strict controls over what items are brought in and out (e.g. alcohol, cigarette, imitation products, foodstuffs).
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.