How it works:
- Earthquakes: minor tremors can be common as Cyprus is located in an active seismic zone, though large earthquakes are rare.
- Snowstorms: in the Troodoos Mountains can cause road blockages or hazardous driving conditions.
- Forest fires: may happen from May to October which is the dry season.
What to do:
- Travel at the “right” time to the “right” place
- Media reports, weather forecasts
- Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- Reacting to one:
- Earthquakes: drop (to hands and knees), cover (head and neck with arms), hold on (to sturdy furniture); expect aftershocks
- Forest fires: make yourself seen (e.g. spread out something large and bright), find shelter with little vegetation, stay low to avoid smoke