How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 5.0 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Americas average: 20.9 (2016).
- Please see below.
- No recent terrorism, but should not be taken for granted.
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations are infrequent but can be violent.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Places to be careful at:
- Crime: Habana Vieja, Playas del Este, Old Havana, tourist locations, El Centro, Vedado, Malecon, beaches of Playa del Este, Varadero, Santiago de Cuba
- Carjacking: Havana, Santiago de Cuba, Central Havana at night
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice